Friday, June 29, 2012

The Wonderful Mediterranean Sea

Fish, coral, minnows, sea fans, and seagulls were just some of the wonderful aquatic animals that I saw today while snorkeling in the picturesque Medes Islands. My favorite memory was when I was just heading back the boat to take off my goggles, snorkel, and wetsuit, when I looked down and saw at least 600 fish all about half a foot long. They were swirling in a tight ball, frantically swimming around and around. Then, all of a sudden, the broke rank as a giant rockfish (2 feet long) bolted through the middle of the pack. They’re dense mechanism thrown off, they were all in it for their own safety and preservation from the predatory fish. It was an intense and fascinating scene to watch from the surface of the water. This was the most exciting of the aquatic organisms that I saw as I was snorkeling today.

The Medes Islands are locked on the north side of Barcelona, on the coast of the Mediterranean. The water was particularly salty due to the lack of fresh water flowing into the Sea.  There were many fish that swam to and fro in the rocky outcropping of the Medes islands. It is a different sort of ecosystem then that of a coral reef. There are much less colors, but lots of green, leafy plants that sway gently to and fro on the bottom of the water (named “Posieden’s Gardens” for the mythical Greek god of the sea.)

Well, it is definitely time for bed because tomorrow I get to tour Tarragona and Montblanc.. I will let all you rabid readers know how that goes J

 

No comments:

Post a Comment