Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Monserrat and Barcelona- Day 1

Nestled about an hour out of Barcelona proper is a magnificent piece of artwork. There are rocks, scaly looking, as they climb up the walls of the sky. Imbedded in the rocks is a monastery. A monastery made before the 10th century. The architecture is beyond words. When entering the monastery (which is also a big pilgrimage destination for Catholics) there is a sense of peace that immediately envelopes every sense of your being. There really aren’t any emotions or descriptions that can be used to describe what I felt as I entered the great chapel, when I saw the beauty of Barcelona from 2000 feet up, as I walked along the path dotted with religious sculptures from many different artists and many different styles, and especially as I gazed into the beauty of the architecture and the sculpture itself.

Monserrat (the monastery I just gave a detailed description of) is home to 76 Benedictine monks. They have all taken a vow of silence and walk around passively on the grounds, in the mountains, and in the chapels. There are many tourists all over the grounds but there is an air of reverence that is inescapable.

Once I arrived back from the breathtaking monastery, I proceeded to tackle the wonders of Barcelona. Barcelona, home of pick-pocketing, is full of tourists and natives, all walking around in the scorching heat like it is normal (most likely because it is to all of them not from rainy ‘ole Oregon.) I proceeded to mill the shops with some of my friends, popping in and out, attempting to use what Spanish I remember from middle school (basically “si,” “gracias,” and “no habla espagnol,”) and taking in the general splendor of it all.

Barcelona is an ancient city that has so much old architecture and art scattered through it. Gaudi is one of the prominent painters/architects who helped put the city together and there are many examples of his influences everywhere.

Around 2000 we stopped in a pub to watch the Eurocup Semifinals between Spain and Portugal. With the help of some beer and many tapas (delicious Spanish food) the evening was quite enjoyable. Going into overtime and into a shootout, Spain managed to win the match. This sent the entire pub (full of native Spaniards) into raucous cheering and the streets of Barcelona were soon full of enthusiastic fans celebrating the victory. Arriving home at 0030, I am now ready for a nice cold shower, some band-aids for my blisters and some nice sleep until 0800 tomorrow morning when I will be going snorkeling J

Overall, it has been an incredible first day off the ship and in Barcelona. 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Aaahh! Land, sweet land. What a treat to be able to share your adventure with you in this way. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete