Thursday, June 21, 2012

The Monotony of the Sea


Well, today is the first full day at sea: the water is 79 degrees and it is about 22 miles to the horizon. The weirdest part thus far has to be hands down the constant rocking motion that is present on all levels. The ship (not a boat) is going about 20 knots (roughly 21 miles per hour) on the open ocean. Because of the relative smallness of the ship compared to other cruisers, there is more motion that can be felt throughout all decks. This leads to passengers being more prone to sea sickness (thank God for meclyzine.)
Today has been a day full of orientations. For instance, now I know what to do if there is a fire (wear a lifejacket) and that if I am not careful to watch my fingers when I’m shutting the huge metal doors to my cabin that there is a fairly good chance I could “chop off my finger at the first joint” (as the lovely British Captain put it.) I also learned what the “aft,” “starboard,” “port,” and much more seaman jargon.
Tonight I go through another time zone change (1 hour ahead) which puts me now 4 hours ahead of western Pacific Time. I am counting down the days until I can see land again!

No comments:

Post a Comment