Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Gladiator Fights and Disco All in the Same Day


Porting in Civitavecchia went smoothly. Then I caught the shuttle to the train station. After buying my train ticket, I boarded the train with my excitement ever growing as Rome got nearer and nearer. When I say train, I am talking about the European train, which is apparently quite different then the trains I have encountered in Oregon. When taking the Amtrak in Oregon I buy a ticket and that ticket gets me a seat on the train. When I bought a ticket in Civitavecchia, Italy, it bought me a spot on the train. So, I spent the entire hour and five minute train ride to Rome standing up in a train car while I hoped someone would vacate their seat so I could steal it.
Finally, Rome arrived in the form of the biggest train station I have ever seen. The Roma Termini is the central train/metro station in Rome and is gigantic! Hopping on the metro took me to the heart of downtown Rome where I began the day’s sight-seeing adventures.
The first stop was the Roman Forum. The Roman Forum was originally the marketplace and heart of ancient Rome. In addition to being the oldest part of Rome, it was a place where elections, public speeches, criminal trials and even the occasional gladiator fight would take place (side note- more on gladiator fighting later.) Today, the Roman Forum is a sight of history. Ruins from the early centuries are scattered all over the grounds and the beauty and enormity is expansive. The only bad part of this part of the day was the immense heat. It had to be at least 95 degrees out. Coupled with the heat, there was no cloud cover and there are hardly any trees in Rome. This means that the cement acts as a perfect surface to reflect even more heat onto the passersby. Even despite the heat though, the Forum was breathtaking.
After the Roman Forum came the Colosseum. Originally known as the Flavian Amphitheater, it is the tallest building in Rome. The construction of the Colosseum started in 72 A.D. The amphitheater can seat up to 50,000 occupants and is most famously known for the ancient gladiator fights that used to take place in it’s massive walls. These were brutal fights that involved blood, gore, and many deaths. It had such a brutal history and when I was inside the walls you could almost feel the terror that used to hold the place.
Once outside the Colosseum walls, my friends and I decided that it was time to find some food. The most interesting thing about Roman food is that the price increases whether you stand at the bar, sit at an inside table, or sit at an outside table. (just a fun fact) I had a delicious fresh tomatoes and a yummy cheese sandwich and then headed off to the Pantheon.
The Pantheon was built in 126 A.D. and serves as a tribute to all of the Roman gods. It is a gorgeous sight to behold and, (like I feel is a theme) the size and grandeur of this building is incredible. In all of the major historic buildings I went into today, the thing that has stuck out the most is the sheer size. It amazes me that there are such magnificently huge buildings built so long ago and with such primitive means.
Across from the Pantheon is what is considered Rome’s best coffee. So, of course I had to stop in and see for myself. It turns out it could possibly be the best coffee in the world. J
The coffee reinvigorated my friends and I and we kept walking through the city until we got to our hotel. (or maybe more appropriately a small house.) The hotel is set up like a bed and breakfast, so there is a communal kitchen area (the best part is that it is full stocked with FREE FOOD! – including champagne, nutella, tangerines, kiwi, and so much more! Then, there are the 4 individual rooms which the different inhabitants sleep in. The bathroom in my room is super cool! The lights on the ceiling change color (it is basically like having a disco while taking a shower) and the view from the room is of downtown Rome. I could not even believe my eyes when I walked in the room (thank you Kevin and Margaret so much for choosing such a great place for me to stay!)
That was essentially the conclusion of my night. I stayed up late people watching, talking with my friends, and skyping with my family back home (definitely the high light of the day- it is so nice to have internet for a couple nights!) Tomorrow I will adventure into the Vatican—let another adventure begin!


1 comment: