Wednesday, July 4, 2012

The final episode of ROME

I have to say “thank you” once more to my wonderful big brother Kevin for the amazing hotel that he found me to stay in Rome. This morning sunlight peaked through the shades this morning as I rose from bed and sleepily walked out to the kitchen. The owner of St. Peter’s Guest House when I was staying greeted me with a delicious cup of cappuccino and a pastry. It was a great morning as I viewed the hustle and bustle of Rome through the open window. After breakfast, packing up, and checking out from the hotel my friends and I adventured out into downtown Rome for the day.
Our wanderings took us to the Villa Borghese which is home to the Galoppatoio Gardens. It was odd to see such expansive green gardens in the heart of downtown Rome. While looking at various fountains and walking down paths I stopped for a break on an obliging bench in the shade. As I was sitting there, this nice Italian man came up and gave me three red roses. I am really not sure why, but he insisted I take them and didn’t ask for any money so I am assuming it was just a friendly gesture. Well, it certainly made my day J (I later passed them on to these two young girls who were walking around with their parents.)
Today I also went to the Trevi Fountain. This fountain is one of the most famous fountains in the world (as was very apparent by the massive amounts of crowds that were present.) It is rumored that if you throw a coin into the fountain you are ensured another trip to Rome (Mom- it’s time we start saving because I threw a coin in so now you and I have to go together sometimeJ.) Although the crowds were massive, it was still a very nice spot to sit, eat a sandwich from a local pub and stare into Oceanus’ face. (Oceanus is a god depicted in the fountains sculptures.)
After the Trevi fountain I wandered through Rome looking at the random shops and observing the culture until I reached the Roma Termini- central train station. The train took me back to Civitavecchia and onto the MV Explorer. There was a BBQ going on on board because of it being the 4th of July (it wasn’t a very major event in the city. Most likely due to the fact that the Italians don’t care much about the United States independence day.) So, I sat outside on the top deck, watched giant cruisers leaving the port, and munched on huge grapes and potato salad. The night concluded with me doing some laundry in the sink (because laundry is 6$ a load here and the washing machines are super small,) doing some postcard writing, and finishing with some studying and sorting through photos.
All in all, Rome was amazing. The history that is prevalent throughout the entire city is amazing. I hope to go back some day!  
A couple fun facts I have left out while blogging about my Rome adventures:
1.       I had the best pizza I have ever had while here in Rome. It contained a very thin but moderately crunch crust with a very small bit of marinara sauce, fresh mozzarella slices, very fresh tomatoes, and basil all stacked on top of one another.
2.       Nutella is a very common food in Rome.
3.       It is about double the price at most restaurants to sit at a table as oppose to standing at the bar.
4.       The Italian people are so nice. (the men are also constantly flattering.)
5.       I don’t think that I have ever been this sticky and hot from walking outside all day and the shower I had today was the most glorious thing ever J



No comments:

Post a Comment