Sunday, July 1, 2012

Final Day in Barcelona

These past 3 days have gone by so fast and I can’t believe that it is already time to leave the wonderful Spanish city of Barcelona. The first stop today was the Boquadia Market. This was the largest fresh food market that I have ever seen. Fish, crabs, octopus, tuna, strawberries, cactus fruit, tangerines, oranges, papayas, coconuts, olives, eggs, hazelnuts, walnuts and so many more other types of fresh produce were everywhere. All of the colors were so overwhelming. I had a very yummy papaya coconut smoothie and delicious flan bread with crystallized pine nuts on top- delicious!

After the market, I took the metro with a couple friends to the Sagrada Familia. Before entering to the church/museum we stopped at this local café for some café (coffee) and sandwich. It was delicious and attempting to order in the very poor Spanish I speak was interesting (thank goodness the café owner was so understanding.)

After lunch we went into the Sagrada Familia. It is a church that has been in construction for about 90 years and the architect was Gaudi. There is literally no way to describe the splendor that is this church. The way that Gaudi uses spatial awareness, creates a very modern looking church, but still has just as much symbolism as the churches of old. Imagine a huge forest made of trees that are made of stones with a ceiling as high as the heavens. This is the inside of Gaudi’s Sagrada Familia. The outside is just levels and levels of gorgeous sculptures: the nativity, Jesus’ birth, three wise men, and so many more.

Then it was a quick metro back to the bus and on to ITALY!

 

2 comments:

  1. I am so looking forward to Italy, have heard many wonderful things about this land. Your tales are sure to keep me on the edge of my seat (that taxi ride you described, reminded me of a few in Korea).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I am having a great time recounting them :)

    ReplyDelete